What is postpartum psychosis?

A very rare but severe form of postpartum disorder, called postpartum psychosis, occurs in about one to two out of 1,000 moms and can include feeling out of touch with reality, rapid mood swings, and obsessive thoughts of hurting the baby. This is a rare form of the disorder, and women with a history of bipolar disorder or other more serious psychiatric conditions are at higher risk of developing this disorder. Living in a remote area also means that resources are limited, and it may be difficult to find treatment providers out there who are trained to recognize and address the problems faced by new moms.
This elevated level of threat involves similar symptoms to postpartum depression, but also includes delusions, hallucinations, and confusion. You might also think that you want to hurt the baby or yourself, and you may not recognize those thoughts as illogical (so the risk of suicide or infanticide is greater than in postpartum depression). Women suffering postpartum psychosis need treatment immediately. Medication and often hospitalization are the typical courses of treatment.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Postpartum Depression

News: FDA Approves First Drug for Postpartum Depression
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the first drug designed specifically for postpartum depression (PPD), a serious condition tha...
What causes postpartum depression?
The exact cause of postpartum depression (PPD) is not known. Postpartum depression seems to be relat...
When should I call my doctor if I have postpartum depression?
If you have postpartum depression (depression after the birth of your baby), call your doctor immedi...
How Marie Osmond Coped After Son’s Death