What is postpartum psychosis?

A very rare but severe form of postpartum disorder, called postpartum psychosis, occurs in about one to two out of 1,000 moms and can include feeling out of touch with reality, rapid mood swings, and obsessive thoughts of hurting the baby. This is a rare form of the disorder, and women with a history of bipolar disorder or other more serious psychiatric conditions are at higher risk of developing this disorder. Living in a remote area also means that resources are limited, and it may be difficult to find treatment providers out there who are trained to recognize and address the problems faced by new moms.
This elevated level of threat involves similar symptoms to postpartum depression, but also includes delusions, hallucinations, and confusion. You might also think that you want to hurt the baby or yourself, and you may not recognize those thoughts as illogical (so the risk of suicide or infanticide is greater than in postpartum depression). Women suffering postpartum psychosis need treatment immediately. Medication and often hospitalization are the typical courses of treatment.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Postpartum Depression

New Health Test for Pregnant Women and New Moms
You’ve probably heard of postpartum depression, even if you haven’t experienced it yourself. But now a new set of guidelines targets mommies-to-be as ...
Can men get postpartum depression?
Christina HibbertChristina Hibbert
Yes, men can have postpartum depression too--it even has its own name: Paternal Postnatal Depression...
What are baby blues?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
The baby blues is a relatively normal emotional response after giving birth. After giving birth most...
If I've Had Depression in the Past, Does that Raise My Risk of Postpartum Depression?