If I have MS, could I experience post-partum depression after giving birth?

If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), after giving birth you should watch for Postpartum Depression -- Given that depression is common both in MS and in women who have just given birth, it is to be expected that some women with MS will experience changes in mood after having a baby. It may be more likely, in fact, than a reoccurrence of your physical MS symptoms. If you experience post-partum depression, it is vital that you get treatment. Mothers who are breastfeeding should check with their doctor before taking an antidepressant to ensure the medication is safe for their baby.

Continue Learning about Postpartum Depression

News: FDA Approves First Drug for Postpartum Depression
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the first drug designed specifically for postpartum depression (PPD), a serious condition tha...
What causes postpartum depression?
The exact cause of postpartum depression (PPD) is not known. Postpartum depression seems to be relat...
What are the most common misconceptions about postpartum depression?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Is postpartum depression inevitable if you're depression-prone in general? Find out by watching this...
If I've Had Depression in the Past, Does that Raise My Risk of Postpartum Depression?