Is post-traumatic stress disorder a permanent condition?

There is disagreement on the subject of whether or not post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can be “cured.” The consensus seems to be that, in any case, treatment can help with the management of symptoms. For some veterans the symptoms of PTSD disappear over time, while in others they persist for many years. Early treatment appears to have the most success. It is important to be patient with the treatment, and not expect it to eliminate all the symptoms and after-effects of the disorder in a short period of time. About 1 in 3 sufferers of PTSD will continue to have some symptoms throughout their lives, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Continue Learning about Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Understanding PTSD: Common Symptoms and Breakthrough Treatments
Post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, can be caused by a constellation of circumstances—some affecting millions of folks at once, like 9-11, and ot...
How common is post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
As many as 7% to 12% of people will have post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) at some point in thei...
Should I see a doctor or psychologist if I have PTSD?
Although it's often difficult for people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) to discuss their...
Overcoming Depression: Noah's Story
Overcoming Depression: Noah's Story