Can I get over PTSD on my own?

As much as we think we can control our thoughts and therefore our moods, trying to just give your mood time to recover on its own can lead to an intensification of mental and physical illness. Ignoring any flashbacks or disturbing moods, rather than helping the situation, compounds your distress, whether you acknowledge that distress or not.

Even though talking about your experiences surrounding the event can cause pain and a resurgence of fear and other uncomfortable feelings, treatment will ultimately bring great relief. If your symptoms continue, they will eventually interfere with your work and relationships. Your quality of life will suffer. People who try to deal with the problem alone usually fail.

Some individuals who've experienced trauma even begin having thoughts of suicide. Don't wait for these symptoms to become so severe that a crisis occurs. If you or a friend or relative is having thoughts of death or suicide, contact a doctor, a therapist, a trusted clergy member or friend. You can also call the suicide crisis hotline at 1-800-273-8255 (TALK). Getting an opinion other than your own could save your life and save your family great suffering.

Continue Learning about Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Treatment

PTSD Treatments That Could Work for You
PTSD Treatments That Could Work for You
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can occur after any event—a car accident, a battle, a heart attack—that’s considered traumatizing, either to the...
PTSD: A Treatment That Works
PTSD: A Treatment That Works
Trauma is more common than you may think. In the U.S. 60 percent of men and 50 percent of women have experienced at least one highly traumatic or terr...
What is the treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)?
Psychotherapy and a drug therapy are options to help treat post-traumatic stress disorder. Meeting ...
How long will I need treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Length of treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) depends on the individual veteran. It ...