Could my insomnia be caused by post-traumatic stress disorder?

Yes, insomnia is a common reaction to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Nightmares in which you re-live the traumatic event can disrupt your sleep, and after frequent occurrences, might make you feel afraid to fall asleep. Being on “high alert” as a result of continuing to feel threatened by danger can prevent you from falling asleep in the first place. You may find that you are a light sleeper after experiencing trauma, and wake easily at the slightest noise.

Continue Learning about Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms

Should I talk to my doctor about my PTSD symptoms?
If you are having problems with the aftereffects of a traumatic event, talk to your doctor about you...
What are the different types of post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms occur after a person experiences or witnesses a traum...
How long after combat does PTSD show up in a veteran?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
For most affected veterans, symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) usually appear within ...
What are the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)?
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is directly connected to a stressful life event, like bein...