Why should I stop smoking after my lung transplant?

We recommend strongly that you do not smoke. Smoking damages your new lungs, putting you at greater risk for lung infections, including bronchitis, emphysema, and pneumonia. It also increases your risk of developing cancer.

Cancer is the leading cause of death after transplantation, and smoking dramatically increases the risk of developing lung and other cancers after lung transplant. Smoking diminishes your red blood cells' ability to carry oxygen, so less oxygen reaches all of your tissues and this decreases your ability to heal. Smoking narrows your blood vessels, especially those in your legs, arms, and heart. Smoking also increases the acid in your stomach, which will delay or prevent the healing of any ulcers you may develop. Plus, all of these problems are more serious in individuals taking immunosuppressive medications.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

How can I avoid side effects from my lung transplant medications?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
You will be on a relatively high dosage of three immunosuppressants, including prednisone, a stero...
What happens after a lung transplant operation?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
If both the donor lung(s) and recipient are cleared for surgery, the patient is put under general an...
How can I avoid infection after my lung transplant?
Preventing infection is mostly common sense. Protect yourself by following these simple guidelines: ...
What follow-up visits will I need after my lung transplant?
Before leaving the hospital, you will receive a schedule of follow-up clinic visits for lab tests an...