What lab tests will I need after my lung transplant?

During the first six-week post-transplant period, you will have chest x-rays and blood tests every week and then at regular intervals, as necessary. The Columbia University Medical Center outpatient center has its own laboratory so that results from your blood tests can be available to your transplant team within 24 hours. This enables immediate and appropriate responses to any problems that are identified, prompting any necessary adjustments to your medications.

The following tests for blood count will be used:
  • WBC tells us if your white blood cells have increased (usually a sign of infection) or decreased (indicating a lower defense against infection).
  • HCT measures your hematocrit, the percentage of red blood cells present in your blood. Red blood cells carry oxygen to all parts of the body. When your HCT is low, you may feel tired or have little energy.
  • PLTS measures the level of platelets in your blood. Platelet cells form blood clots when your body is injured. Low platelet levels may cause you to bruise easily and to bleed for a longer time period.

The following tests may be used to measure lung function:
  • PFTs: A noninvasive, outpatient test used to measure lung function
  • CXR: A radiologic examination to assess chest and lung abnormalities
  • CT scan of chest: An outpatient, noninvasive, radiologic test to assess your chest cavity, including your heart and lungs.
  • Bronchoscopy: An outpatient, minimally invasive procedure during which your pulmonologist looks at your lungs and airways (the bronchial tubes and lungs)

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

What physical therapy will I need after my lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Before initiating any exercise program, consult with your physician and or physical therapist. Your ...
What can I do about cuts and scratches after my lung transplant?
Keep minor cuts and scratches clean and dry by washing daily with soap and water. If you wish, you m...
How does a lung transplant affect the way in which I should get vaccinated?
Patients are encouraged to get all appropriate vaccinations prior to transplantation. After transp...
How does a lung transplant affect my sensitivity to the sun?
Transplant recipients run the added risk for developing skin and lip cancers, and this risk increa...