What support and care can I expect after my lung transplant?

From the moment you and your primary pulmonary specialist begin discussing the possibility of lung transplantation, you will have many questions and concerns about this treatment option. There are practical concerns and emotional reactions. And there are certain lifestyle adaptations that will need to occur following the surgery -- changes that will affect not only you but also your loved ones. Members of your transplant team will be there to guide you through each stage of your transplantation.

Your nurse coordinators/PA will oversee your care -- expediting tests and consultations and answering your questions.

Your social worker will determine what emotional and practical support may be needed by you and your family during this period. He or she can connect you to those services in the community that can be of possible assistance.

Your financial counselor will evaluate your medical insurance during the pre-transplantation and work closely with you to ensure that all possible expenses, including immunosuppressants, will be covered, perhaps through new or additional insurance -- or sometimes alternative sources.

A nutritionist will work closely with you to guide your healthy eating habits as you await your surgery and then assist you with adapting to your new and necessary post-surgical food and preparation requirements.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

What follow-up visits will I need after my lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Before leaving the hospital, you will receive a schedule of follow-up clinic visits for lab tests an...
What can I do about dry skin after my lung transplant?
If you have problems with dry skin, use a mild soap and apply body lotion after bathing. For severel...
How do I handle acne after my lung transplant?
Prednisone may cause acne on your face, chest, shoulders, and/or back, and in addition, cyclospori...
How will my transplant team support me after my lung transplant?
Once you leave the hospital, you are not alone. The team's social worker will assist you and your...