What medications can I safely take after a lung transplant?

When you get colds or the flu, you may take over-the-counter preparations such as Sudafed or Dimetapp. Avoid cold remedies that contain aspirin, Tylenol, or high quantities of alcohol. (You may take aspirin or Tylenol for headache or to reduce fever.) If you develop a cough, you may take cough syrups such as Robitussin, but if your cough becomes productive (bringing up phlegm or mucous) and you are running a fever, call your transplant team. If your local doctor prescribes an antibiotic, please call the transplant team to verify that it will not interfere with the medications you routinely take.
Tylenol (acetaminophen) can be taken as prescribed on the bottle after a lung transplant. People should not take any other over-the-counter medications without checking with the transplant team.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

How does a lung transplant affect dental work?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
You may have received a dental consultation during your pre-transplant workup to be sure that any ne...
Why should I stop smoking after my lung transplant?
We recommend strongly that you do not smoke. Smoking damages your new lungs, putting you at greate...
What physical therapy will I need after my lung transplant?
Before initiating any exercise program, consult with your physician and or physical therapist. Your ...
How can I make sure to correctly take my lung transplant medications?
The key to maintaining a successful transplant is taking, for the rest of your life, the medications...