What follow-up visits will I need after my lung transplant?

Before leaving the hospital, you will receive a schedule of follow-up clinic visits for lab tests and checkups. The purpose of these important visits is to track your recovery progress and detect any potential complications as early as possible.

You will return to the comprehensive outpatient transplantation center once a week for the first two or three months following your surgery. These may be reduced to biweekly visits at the discretion of your transplant team if your recovery is proceeding without any complications. After three months, your visits will be scheduled once a month for the first year and then every other month thereafter, depending on how well you are doing. You will also return to your referring physician for your care that is not related to the lung transplantation.

On the days you are scheduled to see the transplant team, bring your medications list and your handbook. You will need to be at the clinic to have your blood drawn one hour before your morning dosage of medication is due.

Afterward, you will take your medication. This is necessary to get an accurate reading of the immunosuppressant levels in your blood. The lab tests monitor your blood counts, lung function, electrolytes, and the medication levels in your blood. Other tests may be ordered as necessary.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

How will my transplant team support me after my lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Once you leave the hospital, you are not alone. The team's social worker will assist you and your...
What can I do about cuts and scratches after my lung transplant?
Keep minor cuts and scratches clean and dry by washing daily with soap and water. If you wish, you m...
What lab tests will I need after my lung transplant?
During the first six-week post-transplant period, you will have chest x-rays and blood tests every w...
How can I avoid infection after my lung transplant?
Preventing infection is mostly common sense. Protect yourself by following these simple guidelines: ...