What should I avoid eating after my lung transplant?

Good nutrition plays a key role in recovering from lung transplantation. As after any surgery, adequate calories and protein are needed for proper wound healing. Also, possible side effects of the anti-rejection medications can increase nutrient requirements. Because of these special concerns, you may have to change your diet for a time period after your transplant. However, dietary therapy is always adjusted by the transplant team to meet your specific needs and tolerances.

General dietary recommendations include:
  • No grapefruits or grapefruit juice, as this may interfere with medications.
  • No uncooked food such as sushi or meat. Meat should well done. 
  • Raw vegetables need to be washed and scrubbed by someone else other than you. 
  • Raw fruits and vegetables, especially root vegetables, may contain fungus. Fungus may be inhaled and cause lung infection. 
  • Avoid raw fruits and vegetables for the first 3 months after transplant 
  • No salads at public salad bars to avoid infection from the salad and from the other diners.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

What is the long-term followup for lung transplant patients?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
After returning home, patients are encouraged to return to normal activities to the extent that thei...
How does a lung transplant affect my sensitivity to the sun?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Transplant recipients run the added risk for developing skin and lip cancers, and this risk increa...
What follow-up visits will I need after my lung transplant?
Before leaving the hospital, you will receive a schedule of follow-up clinic visits for lab tests an...
How do I monitor my blood pressure after a lung transplant?
High blood pressure is a common side effect of both Neoral and Prograf. It can also indicate that ...