What medications are given after a lung transplant?

You will begin your many (often between 8 and 10) medications immediately following the surgery. Among them will be three immunosuppressants. Because your body is designed to identify "foreign invaders" and to reject them, these anti-rejection medications are mandatory for suppressing the body's natural immune response to the new lung(s). Unfortunately, the risk of rejection never goes away. For that reason, you will be taking immunosuppressants for the rest of your life.

In addition, you will begin taking antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral medications, which will be altered according to your culture results and clinical course. Vitamin and mineral supplements (e.g., calcium, magnesium, iron) will be prescribed to ensure your recovery from the transplant surgery.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

What can I do about cuts and scratches after my lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Keep minor cuts and scratches clean and dry by washing daily with soap and water. If you wish, you m...
What follow-up visits will I need after my lung transplant?
Before leaving the hospital, you will receive a schedule of follow-up clinic visits for lab tests an...
When can I return to school or work after my lung transplant?
You should be able to return to school or work within three to six months. Your transplant team will...
When can I drive after my lung transplant?
You will not be able to drive for about four weeks after your lung transplant. The medications can c...