What is the long-term followup for lung transplant patients?

After returning home, patients are encouraged to return to normal activities to the extent that their energy levels permit and resume outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation as soon as possible. They return to the Center weekly for diagnostic testing and medical care, and will need to adjust to the lifestyle changes associated with organ transplantation. Patients will take immunosuppressant and antimicrobial medications for the rest of their lives. The side effects associated with these medications can be wide ranging, but can be managed. After three months, checkups at the Center will be scheduled monthly as long as the patient's condition allows less frequent visits.

Patients will be instructed how to manage aspects of their care including:

- post-transplant medications
- monitoring for signs of organ rejection
- preventing infection
- exercise
- nutrition
- pets
- driving
- returning to school and work
- skin and hair care
- dental care
- abstinence from smoking and alcohol
- sexual activity
- pregnancy

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

How do doctors monitor for rejection of a transplanted lung?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Rejection can frequently be silent and without symptoms, and detected only by lung function testing....
What should I avoid eating after my lung transplant?
Good nutrition plays a key role in recovering from lung transplantation. As after any surgery, adequ...
What follow-up visits will I need after my lung transplant?
Before leaving the hospital, you will receive a schedule of follow-up clinic visits for lab tests an...
How can I avoid side effects from my lung transplant medications?
You will be on a relatively high dosage of three immunosuppressants, including prednisone, a stero...