How long is the hospital stay for a lung transplant?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Recent progress in anesthesia, surgical techniques and postoperative care have dramatically shortened the time patients spend in the hospital. Surgical refinements have reduced the size of the incision required during transplantation. Recent progress in anesthesia, surgical techniques and post-operative care have dramatically shortened the time patients spend in the hospital — an average of 12 to 14 days, down from an average of 20 days.

On average, lung transplant recipients stay in the hospital for two to three weeks following surgery.

After leaving the hospital, patients are expected to return to hospital three times a week for 12 weeks following surgery, for ongoing therapy and medical care, and are monitored for any signs of infection, rejection or medication side effects.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

What medications can I safely take after a lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
When you get colds or the flu, you may take over-the-counter preparations such as Sudafed or Dimetap...
How does a lung transplant affect the way in which I should get vaccinated?
Patients are encouraged to get all appropriate vaccinations prior to transplantation. After transp...
Why should I stop smoking after my lung transplant?
We recommend strongly that you do not smoke. Smoking damages your new lungs, putting you at greate...
What can I expect immediately after my lung transplant?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Immediately after surgery, lung transplant patients recover for two to four days in the Cardiothorac...