How can I make sure to correctly take my lung transplant medications?

The key to maintaining a successful transplant is taking, for the rest of your life, the medications prescribed to you. Initially it may seem a little overwhelming, but in time you will become very comfortable with the routine. It is important to take your medications as you were instructed.

Because you are responsible for taking your own medications, talk with your physician, pharmacist, or nurse until you fully understand:
  • When to take each medication
  • The name and purpose of each medication 
  • How to take each medication 
  • How long to continue taking each medication 
  • Principal side effects of each medication 
  • What to do if you forget to take a dose 
  • How and when to order more medicine so you won't run out

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

How should I take my transplant medications?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Guidelines for taking your transplant medications include: Always take your medications at the s...
What happens after a lung transplant operation?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
If both the donor lung(s) and recipient are cleared for surgery, the patient is put under general an...
When can I return to school or work after my lung transplant?
You should be able to return to school or work within three to six months. Your transplant team will...
How do I exercise after my lung transplant?
Exercise will become an important part of your life, enabling a faster return to your routine activi...