How do doctors monitor for rejection of a transplanted lung?

Rejection can frequently be silent and without symptoms, and detected only by lung function testing. This is why we frequently measure your lung function during your hospitalization and at your follow-up clinic visits. In addition, a lung biopsy may be necessary to determine if rejection is actually occurring.

Pulmonary function tests, a measure of your lung function, will be performed weekly in the three months after your transplant, and less frequently thereafter. This test may reveal the first sign of rejection or infection. Your lung function will be followed at home with the measurement of spirometry and peak expiratory flow measurements, which you will record daily at home. Any persistent decrease in these values should be reported to the transplant team.

If rejection is suspected, a bronchoscopy, or lung biopsy, will be performed to rule out rejection or see if it is actually occurring.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

Why should I stop smoking after my lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
We recommend strongly that you do not smoke. Smoking damages your new lungs, putting you at greate...
Can I keep pets or animals after my lung transplant?
No birds should be kept in your house, as their droppings may cause lung infection. Cats should be d...
What is the long-term followup for lung transplant patients?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
After returning home, patients are encouraged to return to normal activities to the extent that thei...
How does a lung transplant affect dental work?
You may have received a dental consultation during your pre-transplant workup to be sure that any ne...