How do I monitor my blood pressure after a lung transplant?

High blood pressure is a common side effect of both Neoral and Prograf. It can also indicate that you are retaining fluids. Once you return home you will need to take your blood pressure in the morning, afternoon, evening, and at bedtime, and keep a record of the results.

You may be discharged on medications that control blood pressure. You can help keep your blood pressure under control by eating a low-salt diet, and by losing extra weight.

Your nurse will teach you how to measure your blood pressure. The top number (systolic) is noted at the first sound you hear and the bottom number (diastolic) is noted when the sound changes (not stops). It is important that you know your normal blood pressure, normal fluctuation range, and when you should be concerned. You should notify your transplant team or local physician if your blood pressure measures:

• Systolic: more than 160 or less than 100.
  • Diastolic: more than 90 or less than 60.

Headache can be a symptom of high blood pressure. If you develop a headache, take your blood pressure. If it is above normal for you, call the transplant team. Also check your blood pressure if you feel dizzy or light-headed. These symptoms can be caused by low blood pressure. If your pressure is atypically low, call the transplant team.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

How do I exercise after my lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Exercise will become an important part of your life, enabling a faster return to your routine activi...
How can I care for myself at home after a lung transplant?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Some basic guidelines include: People should take their temperature every morning before breakfa...
Why do I need to take my temperature daily after a lung transplant?
It is important to take your temperature every day in the morning. An increase in your normal temp...
What lab tests will I need after my lung transplant?
During the first six-week post-transplant period, you will have chest x-rays and blood tests every w...