How does a lung transplant affect dental work?

You may have received a dental consultation during your pre-transplant workup to be sure that any necessary dental work would be completed before transplantation. If so, it is not necessary to have routine dental work performed for at least six months following transplant. This includes having your teeth cleaned. However, if you have tooth or gum pain, you should see your dentist immediately.

After transplantation, you need to take an antibiotic when you have dental work done, including cleaning and polishing. You can obtain a letter from the transplant office for your dentist regarding your antibiotic prescription.

It is extremely important that you practice good oral hygiene after your transplant. Brush your teeth once or twice a day. You should floss your teeth after transplant, but flossing can irritate your gums and cause bleeding, so be gentle.

If you dental work was not completed before transplantation, you must see your dentist for an evaluation within the first few months after your return home. Follow the procedure outlined below when you visit the dentist.
  • Make an appointment
  • Have the dentist examine your mouth and teeth, but do not allow either the dentist or the hygienist to pick, clean, or polish your teeth. If this is necessary, antibiotics must be taken. 
  • Have the dentist take x-rays, if necessary. 
  • Schedule all needed appointments as closely together as possible when your dentist knows what work needs to be done.
Your prednisone dose should be as low as possible when dental work is done to reduce the possibility of infection and bleeding, and to enhance the healing process. But do not avoid dental checkups just because your prednisone dose is still high.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

What can I do about dry skin after my lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
If you have problems with dry skin, use a mild soap and apply body lotion after bathing. For severel...
Why should I stop smoking after my lung transplant?
We recommend strongly that you do not smoke. Smoking damages your new lungs, putting you at greate...
When can I return to school or work after my lung transplant?
You should be able to return to school or work within three to six months. Your transplant team will...
How can I care for myself at home after a lung transplant?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Some basic guidelines include: People should take their temperature every morning before breakfa...