How does a lung transplant affect hair?

Prednisone often weakens the condition of your hair. Permanent wave lotions, tints, dyes, and bleaching may cause your hair to break. We recommend that you check with your physician before you have a permanent or color your hair.

Increased hair growth is caused by cyclosporine, and it is especially annoying to women. You can remove hair with a hair removal cream. There are several on the market made especially for the face. There are a number of products you can try; these are just a few: Sally Hansen facial hair remover, Elizabeth Arden facial hair remover, or Nair's Only for Facial Hair remover. Be sure to test your tolerance of the product by following directions on the bottle. Hair removers can cause severe irritation to the eyes, lips, and mucous membranes, so apply carefully. A safer way to diminish the appearance of excessive hair is to bleach the growth with a 50% peroxide solution. Caution: patients should be particularly careful when using these products on infants and children because their skin tends to be more sensitive.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

Can I keep pets or animals after my lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
No birds should be kept in your house, as their droppings may cause lung infection. Cats should be d...
When can I drive after my lung transplant?
You will not be able to drive for about four weeks after your lung transplant. The medications can c...
What is the long-term followup for lung transplant patients?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
After returning home, patients are encouraged to return to normal activities to the extent that thei...
When can I return to school or work after my lung transplant?
You should be able to return to school or work within three to six months. Your transplant team will...