How do I exercise after my lung transplant?

Exercise will become an important part of your life, enabling a faster return to your routine activities and helping you maintain overall improved health. Exercise has been shown to improve muscle tone, as well as the functioning of your heart and lungs. It also helps reduce stress and achieve and maintain ideal body weight.

When you return home, we recommend that you exercise daily. We suggest walking 15 to 20 minutes daily, and gradually increase the time as tolerated.

Do not resume workouts with heavy weights until you have been cleared to do so by the transplant team.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

What medications can I safely take after a lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
When you get colds or the flu, you may take over-the-counter preparations such as Sudafed or Dimetap...
How do I handle acne after my lung transplant?
Prednisone may cause acne on your face, chest, shoulders, and/or back, and in addition, cyclospori...
How will my lung transplant affect my daily life?
After returning home, you should try to resume "normal living." If you want to go to a movie or a so...
How should I take my transplant medications?
Guidelines for taking your transplant medications include: Always take your medications at the s...