What should I expect after lung transplant surgery?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Following  lung transplant surgery, you'll remain in the hospital or transfer to a recommended rehabilitation facility to optimize recovery and guard against infection and organ rejection. From there, you begin the life-long process of returning to and maintaining pulmonary health. You'll continue to work closely with your transplant pulmonologist, your physical therapist, and members of the social services team. In the first few months following surgery, you return to your doctor for checkups. After four months, the frequency of these visits decreases to once a month. During this time, you take a number of medications that are important to maintaining the health of your new organ. The transplant team works with you to make sure that you fully understand the purpose of these medications and are comfortable with the related instructions. At follow-up visits, you participate in a regular schedule of diagnostic and medical care, including physical examination, complete blood and x-ray analysis, review of medications, bronchoscopy, dental care with antibiotic prophylaxis as needed, and annual eye and, for women, gynecologic care.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

How does a lung transplant affect hair?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Prednisone often weakens the condition of your hair. Permanent wave lotions, tints, dyes, and bleach...
What support and care can I expect after my lung transplant?
From the moment you and your primary pulmonary specialist begin discussing the possibility of lung t...
What physical therapy will I need after my lung transplant?
Before initiating any exercise program, consult with your physician and or physical therapist. Your ...
What should I avoid eating after my lung transplant?
Good nutrition plays a key role in recovering from lung transplantation. As after any surgery, adequ...