What happens after a lung transplant operation?

If both the donor lung(s) and recipient are cleared for surgery, the patient is put under general anesthesia, and the surgeon makes an incision in his or her chest. The patient's damaged lung or lungs are removed, and the donor lungs placed in the chest cavity. The pulmonary artery, vein, and bronchus are connected to the new lungs. Drainage tubes are inserted to help drain air, fluid, and blood out of the chest while the new lungs re-expand. Surgery may take four to eight hours, depending on whether it is a single or double transplant, and if any complications occur.

Most lung transplant surgeries are now performed without using the heart-lung bypass machine, which spares patients from associated post-operative complications. Advances in surgical technique enable surgeons at the Center to reduce the size of the incision required during transplantation.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

How will my transplant team support me after my lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Once you leave the hospital, you are not alone. The team's social worker will assist you and your...
When can I drive after my lung transplant?
You will not be able to drive for about four weeks after your lung transplant. The medications can c...
What medications are given after a lung transplant?
You will begin your many (often between 8 and 10) medications immediately following the surgery. Amo...
What should I eat while recovering from lung transplant surgery?
In the first month following lung transplantation you will be recovering from the stress of surgery....