What happens after a lung transplant operation?

If both the donor lung(s) and recipient are cleared for surgery, the patient is put under general anesthesia, and the surgeon makes an incision in his or her chest. The patient's damaged lung or lungs are removed, and the donor lungs placed in the chest cavity. The pulmonary artery, vein, and bronchus are connected to the new lungs. Drainage tubes are inserted to help drain air, fluid, and blood out of the chest while the new lungs re-expand. Surgery may take four to eight hours, depending on whether it is a single or double transplant, and if any complications occur.

Most lung transplant surgeries are now performed without using the heart-lung bypass machine, which spares patients from associated post-operative complications. Advances in surgical technique enable surgeons at the Center to reduce the size of the incision required during transplantation.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

How do I monitor my vital signs after my lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
After you leave the hospital you will be asked to monitor your temperature, blood pressure, weight, ...
When should I call the doctor if I have had a lung transplant?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
People that have had a lung transplant should call the doctor when they have questions or concerns a...
How does a lung transplant affect my sensitivity to the sun?
Transplant recipients run the added risk for developing skin and lip cancers, and this risk increa...
How long is the hospital stay for a lung transplant?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
On average, lung transplant recipients stay in the hospital for two to three weeks following surgery...