How can I know when I should stop eating?

Laura Katleman-Prue
Assuming we can rely on our stomach to tell us how much food to eat is one of our main misconceptions. Judging from the feeling in our stomach after we've eaten a reasonable portion, we often think we're still hungry, so we eat more. But the feeling of satiation doesn't register right away after we've eaten, and for some people, it never registers.

There are different degrees of hunger. If you're tummy-rumbling hungry, that's a trustworthy sign that it's time to eat a meal. But when you've already eaten, using the feeling in your stomach to tell you how much more to eat or when to stop is an unreliable gauge. Sometimes the more we eat, the hungrier we feel!

If the body were good at telling people when to stop eating, there wouldn't be so many obese people around. Although the sensations in your stomach might be a gross measure of whether you're hungry enough to eat a meal, they don't tell you when to put on the brakes. Let portion size, rather than the feeling in your stomach, determine how much you eat.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...
Kate Geagan
Stop multitasking and eat slowly so your body’s natural signals can kick in telling you to stop eating, enjoy meals on smaller plates, and order half portions at restaurants when possible. And most importantly, the signal “I’m finished, the meal is over” should come from you internally, not external cues like the food finally being gone, or when your dinner mates clear their plates.

Continue Learning about Portion Control

Grab This Utensil to Eat Less
Grab This Utensil to Eat Less
No, it's not a single chopstick (although that would certainly work). It's a big fork. In a recent study done at an Italian restaurant, researchers f...
What's the difference between a portion and a recommended serving size?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
The difference between a portion and a recommended serving size is as follows:Portion A portion is t...
How does portion control help with weight loss?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
In order to lose weight you need to decrease your daily caloric intake, increase your daily physical...
How Can I Practice Better Portion Control?