How can polymyositis affect my ability to swallow?

Polymyositis may cause you to develop difficulty swallowing. Polymyositis is a general term for a group of diseases that cause muscles to become inflamed. The main symptom of polymyositis is muscle weakness. Swallowing food requires coordinated muscle movement, so this condition may make it difficult to eat. Tell your doctor immediately if you develop this problem, which is known as dysphagia.

Continue Learning about Polymyositis

What is polymyositis?
Polymyositis is a rare disease of the connective tissues that causes skeletal muscles to weaken. Pol...
How can polymyositis affect my ability to speak?
Polymyositis may cause you to develop difficulty speaking. Polymyositis is a general term for a gr...
How can polymyositis affect my heart?
One complication of polymyositis is a potentially serious heart condition known as an arrhythmia. ...
How is polymyositis diagnosed?
Suhail Kumar, MDSuhail Kumar, MD
Polymyositis is diagnosed with a thorough history and physical examination.  Clinical suspicion is t...