When should I call poison control?

If you think that someone has eaten, breathed or touched something dangerous, call poison control. As a former poison control hotline pharmacist, I can tell you that it's better to call than to wonder if it's a problem. For example, if you find your toddler with a bottle of medication and the lid is off, even if you don't know if he took any, call poison control and they can walk you through the situation. The statistics show that 90% of accidental ingestions are not serious, which is very reassuring, but call and make sure!

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
Could my environment be making me sick?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
There is good evidence that many overlapping disorders including chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyal...
How can I reduce my exposure to environmental hazards?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Our homes, workplaces, and indoor or outdoor community settings, including our children's schools, m...
How can environmental hazards affect my health?
Where and how we live and work affects our health all the time. Evidence suggests that hazards in ou...