What are the symptoms of radiation poisoning?

The severity and timing of radiation poisoning symptoms vary based on the total amount of radiation exposure. With higher doses, symptoms appear sooner, progress more rapidly, and are more serious. The initial symptoms can occur within minutes to hours of exposure and include nausea, vomiting, and possibly diarrhea. Skin injury such as redness, swelling, and hair loss may also be present within the first few hours. These initial symptoms are followed by a period of improvement. The final phase may affect the digestive system, bone marrow, and brain. A person may experience worsened gastrointestinal symptoms, bleeding, bacterial infections, seizures, and coma. Uncontrolled bleeding, inability to fight infections, and shock may cause death within hours to months. For those that survive, damage to the body may result in an increased risk of cancer and possibly birth defects in their future children.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What information should I gather if I think someone has swallowed a poison?
Jonathon E. Pangia, DOJonathon E. Pangia, DO
If you think someone has swallowed poison, you should call the Poison Control Center -- it’s one of ...
What increases my risk for industrial waste poisoning?
The risk factors for industrial waste poisoning are mainly proximity and length of exposure time. Wh...
What should I do in case of accidental poisoning?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
In the case of accidental poisoning, if time permits, contact the Poison Help Center at 1-800-22...