What are some common poisonous plants?

Some common household plants that are considered "poisonous" include philodendrons, calla lilies, and peace lilies. The leaves contain oxalic acid, which combined with water, creates oxalate crystals that can imbed in tissue and cause swelling. For example, if you took a bite from a peace lily leaf, you might feel some sharp pain in your tongue and some tongue swelling. For that reason, it's considered poisonous because if the swelling were severe, you would choke.

Obvious poisonous plants include poison ivy and poison oak for the awful dermatological reactions they cause. 

Despite the reputation, poinsettias are not toxic, but like any plant, they can cause a rash if you're sensitive to them.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What are examples of common poisons?
These are some examples of common poisons:• Alcohol;• Prescription, over-the-counter, and illegal dr...
Should I go to the ER with severe poisoning?
 Dr. Cathy Provins-Churbock, PhD Dr. Cathy Provins-Churbock, PhD
Yes, severe poisoning can be life threatening and you should seek emergency medical care. Calling 91...
What should I do if my child swallows poison?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
If your child swallows poison the most important thing is to take the item away and not to make your...