What is the rate of incidence of radiation poisoning?

Radiation poisoning is a rare illness. Most cases have resulted from nuclear attacks and other accidents. A world-wide registry of radiation accidents between 1944 and 1999 includes a total of 403 events that lead to 120 deaths. The atomic bombings in Japan in 1945 caused approximately 110,000 deaths. The majority of these were likely due to the physical effects of the bombings rather than to radiation poisoning. The nuclear fall-out from Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania was not high enough to cause radiation poisoning. According to a report by the United Nations, the accident at Chernobyl in 1986 triggered 134 cases of radiation poisoning. Twenty-eight of those with radiation poisoning died.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
Can children's vitamins cause severe poisoning or death?
Niamh van MeinesNiamh van Meines
YES! When considering vitamins for children the quality of the vitamin must be considered: a reputab...
How can I reduce my exposure to environmental hazards?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Our homes, workplaces, and indoor or outdoor community settings, including our children's schools, m...
Should I go to the ER with severe poisoning?
 Dr. Cathy Provins-Churbock, PhD Dr. Cathy Provins-Churbock, PhD
Yes, severe poisoning can be life threatening and you should seek emergency medical care. Calling 91...