What information should I gather if I think someone has swallowed a poison?

Jonathon E. Pangia, DO
Emergency Medicine
If you think someone has swallowed poison, you should call the Poison Control Center -- it’s one of the best things that's happened in this country to help people who have a suspected poisoning. If you don't have that number posted somewhere in your house, you should. They will help guide you by asking about the chemical -- or at least the brand name. They have great resources to look up and know every single thing that's in that particular chemical. And, if they can't get the answer, they will call the company that made the chemical directly and make them give them the answer. You don't necessarily need the ingredient list, but you do need the brand name and the label of what it was.
If you suspect someone has swallowed a poison, try to find out:
  • The type of poison
  • The quantity taken
  • When it was taken
  • How much the person weighs

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What should I do if my child swallows poison?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
If your child swallows poison the most important thing is to take the item away and not to make your...
Is aluminum harmful?
Aluminum is a metallic element that is found combined with other elements in the earth's crust. It i...
Should I go to the ER with severe poisoning?
 Dr. Cathy Provins-Churbock, PhD Dr. Cathy Provins-Churbock, PhD
Yes, severe poisoning can be life threatening and you should seek emergency medical care. Calling 91...