What increases my risk for radiation poisoning?

The risk of radiation poisoning is determined by the type, amount, duration, and location of radiation exposure. In addition, age and medical conditions may play a role in the susceptibility to illness. High-energy, ionizing radiation from atomic weapons, nuclear power plants, and some cancer treatments can cause serious illness. Microwaves, cell phones, radios, and medical imaging procedures (such as x-rays and computed tomography scans) either do not emit the right type or a high enough dose of radiation.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What is poison?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A poison is any substance that causes injury, illness, or death if it enters the body.
Can alcohol poisoning have any complications?
Complications from alcohol poisoning, which occurs when high quantities of alcohol are consumed in o...
What happens when I call the National Poison Control Center hotline?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
When you call this number, your call is automatically routed to your regional poison control cen...