What causes radiation poisoning?

Radiation poisoning is caused by exposure to massive amounts of ionizing radiation over a brief period of time. Ionizing radiation is a type of energy that is used to power nuclear weapons, fuel certain industrial power plants, decontaminate food, and treat cancer. Energy released from microwaves, cell phones, and radios is not ionizing radiation. While certain medical devices such as x-ray machines and computed tomography scanners emit ionizing radiation, the dose is typically not high enough to cause radiation poisoning.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
How can I identify poisons?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
Poisoning may be accidental or intentional - drugs, chemicals, and household cleaners are all potent...
What is venom?
Venom is a poisonous fluid secretion of certain animals; venom is useful to the animal for captu...
How can I prevent severe poisoning?
Follow these rules to prevent poisoning:• Choose products in containers that are hard for children t...