What are the treatment options for alcohol poisoning?

There is no treatment to directly stop the effects of alcohol poisoning. Instead, doctors provide care to safely support the body's functions while it processes the alcohol and clears it from its system. High on the list is ensuring a clear airway so that breathing is not disrupted, and most persons will receive oxygen in some form. In very serious cases of alcohol poisoning, a ventilator may be necessary. Intravenous fluids are usually given to stave off dehydration. Vitamins may also be administered.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What should I do in case of accidental poisoning?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
In the case of accidental poisoning, if time permits, contact the Poison Help Center at 1-800-22...
What should I do if my child swallows poison?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
If your child swallows poison the most important thing is to take the item away and not to make your...
What should I do if a poisoned person becomes violent or threatening?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If the person becomes violent or threatening, move to safety and wait for help to arrive.