Is there a cure for alcohol poisoning?

There is no treatment that stops the effects of alcohol poisoning and therefore "cures" it. However, physicians can provide care that supports the body as it clears the alcohol from its system on its own. It is most important to ensure that breathing is not disrupted, and most persons will need to receive oxygen in some form. To prevent dehydration, intravenous fluids are often given. Vitamins may also be administered. Cold showers, coffee, and sleep are not cures for alcohol poisoning and can be dangerous.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What happens when I call the National Poison Control Center hotline?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
When you call this number, your call is automatically routed to your regional poison control cen...
How can I reduce my exposure to environmental hazards?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Our homes, workplaces, and indoor or outdoor community settings, including our children's schools, m...
Should I go to the ER with severe poisoning?
 Dr. Cathy Provins-Churbock, PhD Dr. Cathy Provins-Churbock, PhD
Yes, severe poisoning can be life threatening and you should seek emergency medical care. Calling 91...