Are poinsettia plants toxic?

Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine

The answer is a resounding no! Every year kids or pets are rushed into the ER and countless calls come into Poison Control Centers around the country for ingestion of some part of the popular holiday plant. However, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, a study released in 2000 found that out of nearly 23,000 poinsettia exposures reported to poison control centers nationwide, there was essentially no significant toxicity of any kind. Even prior animal studies found no toxicity in rats.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What should I do if a poisoned person becomes violent or threatening?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If the person becomes violent or threatening, move to safety and wait for help to arrive.
What information should I gather if I think someone has swallowed a poison?
Jonathon E. Pangia, DOJonathon E. Pangia, DO
If you think someone has swallowed poison, you should call the Poison Control Center -- it’s one of ...
Can alcohol poisoning have any complications?
Complications from alcohol poisoning, which occurs when high quantities of alcohol are consumed in o...