Who is most at risk for industrial waste poisoning?

All people who live and work in or near factories, mills, or mining operations are at risk for industrial waste poisoning. That's because this condition affects people who come in contact with the toxic chemicals that are released from these places. In the United States, for example, benzene is in the top 20 chemicals produced. It is used to manufacture many things, including detergents, plastics, and rubber. There are many places in this country that use benzene in their manufacturing process. Drinking water can also become contaminated and pose a risk for communities. Vinyl chloride is an example of toxin that can be ingested through tainted drinking water.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What poisons can be absorbed through the skin?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Poisons that can be absorbed through the skin come from many sources including plants, such as p...
How can I reduce my exposure to environmental hazards?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Our homes, workplaces, and indoor or outdoor community settings, including our children's schools, m...
What's the treatment for a poisonous jellyfish sting?
Shirley A. Jones, RNShirley A. Jones, RN
Wear gloves, if possible, and brush off stingers with a towel. Gently wash the area with salt water....