Does industrial waste poisoning affect men and women differently?

Industrial waste poisoning affects men and women in basically the same way, with most of the symptoms and treatment plans being similar. However, some women who are exposed to certain toxic chemicals may experience other symptoms. For example, studies are leading researchers to believe that if a woman inhales benzene, her menstrual periods may become irregular and the size of her ovaries may decrease. There is no evidence as of yet if male fertility problems are affected by benzene. Also, some studies have shown that women who are pregnant and come into contact with cyanide have more babies born with thyroid disease.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What happens when I call the National Poison Control Center hotline?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
When you call this number, your call is automatically routed to your regional poison control cen...
How can environmental hazards affect my health?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Where and how we live and work affects our health all the time. Evidence suggests that hazards in ou...
What is venom?
Venom is a poisonous fluid secretion of certain animals; venom is useful to the animal for captu...