Advertisement

How should I dispose of a mercury thermometer?

Mercury (sometimes called quicksilver) is a dangerous material. Mercury-glass thermometers are not available in stores; digital thermometers have replaced them. If a mercury-glass thermometer ever breaks, do not touch the mercury -- it is very poisonous. Use gloves and clean it up with something that can be thrown away.

Do not simply throw mercury-containing or mercury-glass thermometers away in the trash, because the mercury is considered "hazardous waste." You can call your local household hazardous waste hotline or health department for instructions on how to dispose of any mercury thermometers you may have.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
Read More
What are the health risks of toluene?
Dr. Mehmet Oz, MDDr. Mehmet Oz, MD
Toluene, a solvent found in nail polish, paints, and when petroleum-based paraffin candles are burne...
More Answers
Can alcohol poisoning have any complications?
HealthyWomenHealthyWomen
Complications from alcohol poisoning, which occurs when high quantities of alcohol are consumed in o...
More Answers
How can environmental hazards affect my health?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Where and how we live and work affects our health all the time. Evidence suggests that hazards in ou...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.