How can I reverse alcohol poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is a medical emergency. You cannot treat it on your own, at home, or with alternative treatments. Coffee, cold showers, and "sleeping it off" will not reverse alcohol poisoning. In some cases, sleep can even be dangerous. A person with alcohol poisoning can vomit while they sleep and possibly choke to death, or fall into unconsciousness or a coma. If someone who has been drinking shows signs of alcohol poisoning, they need medical care immediately. Call the poison control center or 911 to get help.

Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicology
No you cannot reverse alcohol poisoning.  Alcohol poisoning can result in death.  It is an emergency. If you suspect someone has alcohol poisoning then you should get them to the nearest emergency department. The best and safest way to do that is to call "911". 

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
Read More
What's the treatment for a poisonous jellyfish sting?
Shirley A. Jones, RNShirley A. Jones, RN
Wear gloves, if possible, and brush off stingers with a towel. Gently wash the area with salt water....
More Answers
Who is most at risk for industrial waste poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
All people who live and work in or near factories, mills, or mining operations are at risk for indus...
More Answers
How can I tell if a home product is poisonous?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
Almost anything can be poisonous if it is used the wrong way, in the wrong amount, or by the wro...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.