How can I prevent children from being poisoned?

To prevent children from being poisoned:
  • Always supervise children closely, especially in areas where poisons are commonly stored, such as kitchens, bathrooms, and garages.
  • Keep children out of your work area when you are using potentially harmful substances.
  • Consider all household or drugstore products to be potentially harmful.
  • Read all labels of products you use in your home. Look for these words on bottles and packages: “Caution,” “Warning,” “Poison,” “Danger,” and “Keep Out of Reach of Children.”
  • Be careful when using and storing household products with fruit shown on the labels. Children may think that they are okay to drink.
  • Remove all medications and medical supplies from bags, purses, pockets, shelves, unlocked cabinets, and drawers.
  • Keep all medications, medical supplies, and household products locked away, well out of the reach of children and away from food and drinks.
  • Install special child safety locks to keep children from opening cabinets.
  • Use childproof safety caps on all medications, chemicals, and cleaning products.

• Never call medicine "candy" to get a child to take it, even it is has a pleasant candy flavor.
  • Keep products in their original containers with the original labels in place.
  • Use poison symbols to identify dangerous substances and teach children the meaning of the symbols.
  • Dispose of outdated or unused medications and household products as recommended.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
How can I tell if a home product is poisonous?
Almost anything can be poisonous if it is used the wrong way, in the wrong amount, or by the wro...
What happens when I call the National Poison Control Center hotline?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
When you call this number, your call is automatically routed to your regional poison control cen...
Can safe substances be poisonous?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Many substances that are not poisonous in small amounts are poisonous in larger amounts. Combini...