How is poisoning diagnosed?

Poisoning is usually diagnosed from a combination of symptoms and information from the person poisoned or those around them. In some cases, blood tests, urine tests, or x-rays can be used, but most poisonings cannot be determined this way. Any information that can be taken from the person or poisoning scene, such as an open pill bottle, is the most helpful for diagnosing poisoning.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What should I do in case of accidental poisoning?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
In the case of accidental poisoning, if time permits, contact the Poison Help Center at 1-800-22...
What is poisoning?
Poisoning occurs when you come into contact with a substance that is toxic. In some cases, the subst...
Could my environment be making me sick?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
There is good evidence that many overlapping disorders including chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyal...