How is industrial waste poisoning diagnosed?

Industrial waste poisoning can typically be diagnosed by blood and urine tests. A physician can detect a toxic chemical in the body by measuring the amount found in blood and urine.

In the case of some chemicals, such as benzene, a breath test can be used to determine if you have been exposed to the toxic waste. This test must be conducted shortly after exposure. Also, if a person has been exposed to cyanide, the doctor can also use a breath test to determine if poisoning has occurred. In the case of cyanide poisoning, the breath may or may not have a bitter odor resembling almonds. In most cases of industrial waste poisoning, a timely diagnosis is important and the doctor may use information about where the person was and an account of what happened to start treatment before waiting around for test results.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
Who is most at risk for industrial waste poisoning?
All people who live and work in or near factories, mills, or mining operations are at risk for indus...
How can I reduce my exposure to environmental hazards?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Our homes, workplaces, and indoor or outdoor community settings, including our children's schools, m...
How can I prevent severe poisoning?
Follow these rules to prevent poisoning:• Choose products in containers that are hard for children t...