How should I handle medications to prevent poisoning?

Always keep medications in their original containers.
  • Make sure that this container is well marked with the original pharmacy labeling.
  • If taking several medications, always check the label to ensure that you are taking the correct medication, and be especially aware of possible adverse drug interactions.
  • Over time, expired medications can become less effective and even toxic to humans if consumed.
  • Dispose of out-of-date or unused medications properly by following the guidelines.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What should I do in case of accidental poisoning?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
In the case of accidental poisoning, if time permits, contact the Poison Help Center at 1-800-22...
What are some common poisonous plants?
Some common household plants that are considered "poisonous" include philodendrons, calla lilies, an...
What is venom?
Venom is a poisonous fluid secretion of certain animals; venom is useful to the animal for captu...