Should I have my hair tested for heavy metals, like mercury?

There are companies who have market tests that examine your hair for heavy metals like mercury. But these tests (in which they take a quarter-size clump of your hair, including the follicles) are inconsistent. Tests on hair can produce some reliable results for drug use, but the preferred method of testing should still be peeing in a cup.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What are the sources of heavy metals in our body?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Most of the heavy metals in the body are a result of environmental contamination due to industry. In...
Should I go to the ER with severe poisoning?
 Dr. Cathy Provins-Churbock, PhD Dr. Cathy Provins-Churbock, PhD
Yes, severe poisoning can be life threatening and you should seek emergency medical care. Calling 91...
What are some common poisonous plants?
Some common household plants that are considered "poisonous" include philodendrons, calla lilies, an...