Can radiation poisoning be prevented?

The key to preventing radiation poisoning is to limit radiation exposure. Taking off contaminated clothing and washing with soap and water removes approximately 90 percent of external contamination. Some officials recommend that people living within 10 miles of a nuclear power plant have access to potassium iodide tablets, which can be used to reduce damage caused by radioactive iodine. Evacuating an area or taking shelter in a metal or concrete structure, preferably underground, can likewise reduce contact with radiation. For those who undergo medical procedures involving radiation, lead shields can be used to protect vulnerable parts of the body that do not require treatment. Finally, individuals who work with or near radioactive materials should wear badges to keep track of their exposure.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What should I do if my child swallows poison?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
If your child swallows poison the most important thing is to take the item away and not to make your...
What is the effect of environmental hazards on my health?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
To understand environmental health, we must understand that everything is connected—our body systems...
What should I do if a poisoned person becomes violent or threatening?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If the person becomes violent or threatening, move to safety and wait for help to arrive.