Can poison be used as an antidote?

The Brazilian doctors who discovered that whiskey did not cure snakebites also came up with a clever way to fight the effects of venom on humans by using the same venom as an antidote. They realized that administering doses of venom, in gradually increasing doses to large animals, such as horses, the animals would develop antibodies in their immune system. The antibodies, called antivenin, fought off the venom.

Antivenin then was extracted from the hemoglobin of an immunized horse's blood, and, when the antivenin was introduced into the bloodstream of a snakebite victim, it became attached to the venom and stopped it from interfering with normal body processes.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
Can children's vitamins cause severe poisoning or death?
Niamh van MeinesNiamh van Meines
YES! When considering vitamins for children the quality of the vitamin must be considered: a reputab...
What happens when I call the National Poison Control Center hotline?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
When you call this number, your call is automatically routed to your regional poison control cen...
How can environmental hazards affect my health?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Where and how we live and work affects our health all the time. Evidence suggests that hazards in ou...