How do I store medications to avoid accidental poisonings?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
To avoid accidental poisonings from medications, it is important to have a special, truly childproof medicine storage area in your home. Realize that kids always have and always will stick things in their mouths without thinking. All medications, especially those that look pretty, need to be in childproof containers and put away out of reach from little hands. Over-the-counter medications and vitamins also cause accidental poisonings. All pills should be stored behind locked cabinets when you've got children in your home -- living there or visiting.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
What should I do if my child swallows poison?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
If your child swallows poison the most important thing is to take the item away and not to make your...
What increases my risk for industrial waste poisoning?
The risk factors for industrial waste poisoning are mainly proximity and length of exposure time. Wh...
What should I do if a poisoned person becomes violent or threatening?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If the person becomes violent or threatening, move to safety and wait for help to arrive.