Are there alternative treatments for alcohol poisoning?

Just as there are no medications that can stop the process of alcohol poisoning, there are also no established alternative treatments for this type of overdose. Alcohol poisoning is a medical emergency and must always be treated as such. Cold showers and coffee will not help revive someone with serious alcohol poisoning. Never wait for someone to "sleep it off." When someone who has been drinking is unconscious, call 911 or drive the person to a hospital immediately. If a person is showing milder symptoms of alcohol poisoning and is still conscious, call the poison control center for recommendations on what steps to take.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
How can I prevent severe poisoning?
Follow these rules to prevent poisoning:• Choose products in containers that are hard for children t...
What should I do in case of accidental poisoning?
 Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD Dr. Kathleen Handal, MD
In the case of accidental poisoning, if time permits, contact the Poison Help Center at 1-800-22...
How can I tell if a home product is poisonous?
Almost anything can be poisonous if it is used the wrong way, in the wrong amount, or by the wro...