How is alcohol poisoning treated in the ICU?

Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicology

Alcohol poisoning is treated in the ICU with supportive care, medications to prevent the toxic side effects of alcohol and if needed, kidney dialysis.

Supportive care is care that assists the body in maintaining basic functions while it heals. This may include oxygen, heart and blood pressure monitoring and intravenous fluids.

Blood is tested for signs of severe poisoning including liver and kidney damage. Antidotes are available for some types of alcohol poisoning.  In some cases kidney dialysis may be required.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
How should I dispose of a mercury thermometer?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Mercury (sometimes called quicksilver) is a dangerous material. Mercury-glass thermometers are n...
How can I tell if a home product is poisonous?
Almost anything can be poisonous if it is used the wrong way, in the wrong amount, or by the wro...
What happens when I call the National Poison Control Center hotline?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
When you call this number, your call is automatically routed to your regional poison control cen...