How can I get rid of insects in my home without pesticides?

While pesticides represent a threat to your family, some unwanted pests can also pose threats by carrying diseases into your home. Integrated pest management (IPM) provides an effective, safe alternative to the use of insecticides, preventing the use of dangerous chemicals where your family lives. IPM relies on the use of nonchemical approaches to pest control, including blocking pests’ access to homes by sealing cracks and crevices; by removing their basic survival needs, including air, moisture, and food; and by using the safest traps and gels discreetly, in locations not easily accessible to children.

Continue Learning about Pesticides

Why should I make sure my exterminator doesn't use chlordane?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
Chlordane, a highly toxic pesticide, was for decades the chemical of choice for termite control. Ext...
How can I reduce my family's exposure to pesticide on fruit and vegetables?
Clifford W. Bassett, MDClifford W. Bassett, MD
The Environmental Working Group has published a list of a variety of fruits and vegetables that cons...
Are Pesticide Residue Levels in Food Monitored?
Is There a Connection Between Alzheimer’s Disease and Pesticide Exposure?