What are the health effects of pesticide exposure?

Even though we always hear about the benefits of organic food, one-third of all fruits and vegetables sold in this country still are covered in pesticides. These poisons, which are intended to kill pests, also can hurt us. Research shows that some of them -- called neurotoxins -- can harm our brains and nervous systems. One recent study found that children with a high level of a certain pesticide had an increased chance of developing attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and disorders similar to autism. Other pesticides that mimic hormone activity possibly can reduce fertility. Scientists recently discovered that exposure to one of the most common weed killers increased weight gain in animals by 10%.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Alan Greene, MD
Pediatrics

Fruits and veggies are supposed to be good for you, but if they're packed with pesticides they can carry serious risks. In this video, pediatrician Dr. Alan Greene discusses problems that can be caused by exposure to pesticides.

Continue Learning about Pesticides

Are the pesticides in my food dangerous?
The truth is, doctors don't know what the long-term effects of most pesticides will be. Watch th...
Why should I make sure my exterminator doesn't use chlordane?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
Chlordane, a highly toxic pesticide, was for decades the chemical of choice for termite control. Ext...
Supermarket Savvy: Decoding PLU Labels on Fruits and Veggies
Is There a Connection Between Alzheimer’s Disease and Pesticide Exposure?